In Australia, each state has a different legislation when it comes to smoke alarms. Visit our Legislation page to understand what is required in your state. In short:
- At least 1 smoke alarm is required on each level of a home.
- There must be a smoke alarm in any passageway or corridor leading to bedrooms.
- If a corridor or passageway does not lead to a bedroom, but could be an escape path, then a smoke alarms should be fitted in this path.
- In Queensland, all bedrooms should contain photoelectric smoke alarms.
- All smoke alarms in the home should be interconnected.